Name: Gunner Charlie Pollard, 297437
Date of Birth: 1888
Address: Stadon Road, Anstey
Jabez Pollard (Stone quarryman) d26.10.18
Eliza d. Pre 1911
Occupation before the war: Railway Shunter
Mary b.1886 | Fanny b.1880 | John H b.1883
Reported seriously ill 24.9.18
Reported dangerously ill 26.9.18
Place of Death: Mesopotamia
Place of Burial/Memorial: I N 15, Basra War Cemetery
Cause of death:
From Charlie’s Military records:
Broncho pneumonia attributable to military service.
157th Heavy Battery
Royal Garrison Artillery
British War Medal
Any other information (e.g. Service Record/ appearance etc)
- Enlisted on 19thOctober 1915, at Leicester, into 157thHeavy Battery R.G.A. no 9249
- Gave his age as 27 years and 8 months
- Given new number on 7.4.17
- His effects were sent to his brother John, who also lived at Stadon Road, Anstey as both his parents had died by this time and he was now next of kin..
- These includes purse; 3 buttons; pocket knife; cap badge; cigarette case; 5 coins; wallet containing photos and postcards; matchbox cover, 3 discs.
- Only Fanny was mentioned as living sister at the time of his death. She was living in Park Road.