Name: John Thomas Bishop 31212
Date of Birth: 1892
Parents: Cropston Road, Anstey
John: 48, St. Marks Street, Leicester
Parents Names: Robert Bishop (Shoe Riveter) and Harriet
Occupation before the war:
A Shoe hand
Previously a serving Soldier
Florence b 1887 | Langham b 1894 | William b1889 | Harriet b1897 | Robert b 1891 Elizabeth Ann b 1901 | Walter Leaton b 1905
Date Died: 8.11.16
Place of Death: The Somme
Place of Burial/Memorial: Thiepval memorial, Somme, France
Cause of death: Killed in Action
Regiment: South Lancashire Regiment
Any other information (e.g. Service Record/ appearance etc)
- His younger brother Langham also fell in action.
- His enlistment documents show that he attested in Leicester on the 2nd December 1915 into the Leicestershire Regiment, he gave his place of residence as 48, St. Marks Street, Leicester; his age as 23 years and 9 months; his trade or calling as Shoe Hand.
- He had served as a Private in the 4th Battalion Leicestershire Regiment for 4 years and was time expired.
- His next of kin was his wife, Beatrice Mary Bishop nee Cheney, whom he married on the 23rd February 1914 in Leicester.
- They had a daughter Emily Elizabeth who was born on the 5th February 1915 in Leicester.
- Information taken from his medical examination shows that he wa 5 foot 6¼ inches in height; weighed 124 pounds and had a chest measurement of between 32 and 34 inches.