Name: Private Ernest Jordan, 50821
Date of Birth: 1892
Address: 5, Park Road, Anstey
John Jordan (chimney Sweep)
Occupation before the war: Shoe finisher
George Wolfe b1883 | Harriett Ann b1885 | Mary Elizabeth b1888 |
Florence Ada Annie b1896 | Mahlon Iritts Wolfe b1902 | John Frank b1905
Date Died: 7.6.1917
Place of Death: Belgium
Place of Burial/Memorial: Ypres (Menin Gate) Mem., Belgium
Cause of death: Killed in action
Batt – 11th Battalion
British War Medal
Any other information (e.g. Service Record/ appearance etc)
- On the 21st November 1914, Ernest married Emma Eliza Smith in the Parish Church in Anstey.
- They had two children, Archibald Frank born on the 27th February 1915 and Ernest, born on the 27th October 1916; both children were born in Anstey.
- Ernest attested into the Army on a Short Service engagement (For the Duration of the War, with the Colours and in the Army Reserve.) on the 8th December 1915 in Leicester.
- He, his age as 23 years and 287 days.
- He gave his wife Emma Eliza Jordan of 5, Park Road, Anstey as his next of kin.
- He was 5 foot 9¾ inches in height, weighed 146 pounds and he had a chest measurement of between 34 and 37 inches. His physical development was described as good.
- He gave his religion as Congregational.
- His record of service began when he was placed on the Army Reserve on the 8/12/15. Mobilised and posted to the Depot of the Leicestershire Regiment as a private, service number 36927 on the 9/12/15.
- Joined the Leicestershire Regiment on the 24/1/17.
- Posted to the 5th Training Reserve Battalion, and allotted the service number 5/17389, at Rugeley Camp on the 27/1/17.
- Embarked at Folkestone to join the British Expeditionary Force in France on the 3/5/17.
- Disembarked at Boulogne on the 3/5/17.
- Joined the 32nd Infantry Brigade Depot at Etaples on the 4/5/17.
- Posted to the 11th Battalion Cheshire Regiment and allotted the service number 50821 on the 20/5/17.
- Joined the 11th Battalion Cheshire Regiment, in the field on the 21/5/17.
- Missing, in the field on the 7/6/17. Reported killed in action, in the field on the 7/6/17.