Name: Private George Smart 8618
Date of Birth: 1891
Address: Family: The Green, Anstey
George (Shoe trade worker)
Occupation before the war: Soldier and previously shoe hand
Siblings Names: Charles b.1887 | James b.1888 | Ethel b.1890 | Elizabeth b.1894
Emily b.1896 | Lotty b.1898 | Florence b.1903 | Albert b.1906
Date Died: 1.10.1917
Place of Death: Ypres
Place of Burial/Memorial: Tyne Cot Mem., Zonnebeke, West Vlaanderen
Cause of death: Killed in action
1914 -15 Star
British War Medal
Any other information (e.g. Service Record/ appearance etc)
- Enlisted 9.1.1909 aged 18yrs and 2 months
- Stated he had not lived with parents for at least 3 years.
- On 1911 census he was listed as being in India (Bangalore) with 2ndbattalion, Leics Reg.
- Married Mary Elizabeth Garner 11.10.1915.
- After his death she was awarded a pension of 13/9 per week. She was living in Noble Street, Leicester.
- He was transferred to a military hospital on March 14th1912with Malaria He was recommended for military discharge in 1912 because of the paralysis to his arm.
- Appears to continue to serve until his death.