Name: Private John William Protheroe 27190
Date of Birth: 1896
Address: Edward Street, Anstey
John William Protheroe (Boot finisher)
Occupation before the war:
Shoe finisher with Palmers of Anstey.
He had been there for 7 years before enlistment.
Edward Henry b.1891 | Emma b.1894 | Joseph b. 1898 | Herbert b.1900 | Henry b.1906
Date Died: October 1918
Place of Death: Leicestershire
Place of Burial/Memorial: Anstey Cemetery
Cause of death: Possibly result of war injuries
British War Medal
Any other information (e.g. Service Record/ appearance etc)
- Enlisted 21stAugust 1915 at Loughborough. He was 20 years and 22 days.
- He was enlisted into the Leicestershire Regiment no 20927
- Discharged 7thMarch 1917 when he was 21 years old because he was no longer fir for was service.
- Reason GSW (Gunshot wound to the spine) Spine, Paraplegia
- 5’ 10”;Blue eyes; Brown Hair
- He had served for 1 year and 199 days
- He was wounded on 16.1.17 in the field and transferred to England 20.1.17