Name: Private William Harratt 162617
Date of Birth: 5.11.1888
Address: Forest Gate, Anstey
William Harratt (Quarryman) and Sarah Ann
Occupation before the war: Quarryman
John b.1885 | Ada b.1887 | Tom b.1890 | Hilda b.1894 | Joseph b.1894 | George b.1895
Date Died: 7.6.1920
Place of Death: Forest Gate, Anstey
Place of Burial/Memorial: Ratby Churchyard, Leics
Cause of death: Died from wounds post war
Regiment: Machine Gun Corps
Any other information (e.g. Service Record/ appearance etc)
- He is on the War memorial as H. Harratt, but his name was actually William.
- Married Charlotte Newton, who was born in Clarks Yard, Anstey, in 1917
- Son, John William born in December 1918 and died December 1919
- Although William died at Forest Gate Anstey, probably buried at Ratby as that was where his widowed mother and siblings had lived. His mother died 11.5.20, just weeks before William.
- Two of his brothers died during WW1 – both in 1917 –Tom at Basra and Joseph at Arras.
- His wife’s brother, John Newton also died during WW1 on 15th May 1917 at Le treport.