Name: Private Alexander Reid, 42397
Date of Birth: 13.11.1880
Address: 11, Lower Vincent Street, Auckland
Leslie Reid (Sergeant in the Royal Marine Light Infantry) d. Pre 1901
Occupation before the war: Bootmaker for the Co operative Boot Company in Auckland NZ
Leslie b.1864 | Mary Ann b.1870 | William J b.1873 |
Emma b1895 | Margaret b.1896 | Martha b.1897 | Harry S b.1898
Date Died: 4.10. 1917
Place of Death: Belgium
Place of Burial/Memorial: Tyne Cot Memorial
Cause of death: Reported missing on 3rd/4thOctober 1917 and Board of Enquiry in April 1918 stated that he was killed in action on 4.10.18
New Zealand Expeditionary Forces Auckland Regiment
British War Medal
Any other information (e.g. Service Record/ appearance etc)
- In 1871 census, father was a shoe riveter with an army pension, aged 41 years old
- Born in England
- 1i 1911 he was living with the Spence Family as a boarder in Edward Street.
- Enlisted 31.10.1916 and stated that he had lived in New Zealand for 5 years.
- Stated both parents were dead.
- Next of Kin registered as brother, Leslie Read of Roseberry House, 48, Danes Hill Rd, Leicester (originally Leicester Road, Anstey) as well as Mr E. Brown, a friend of above address.
- He was 5’ 9” tall and weighed 11stn 7lbs.
- Fair hair; blue eyes