Name: Sapper Harold Clarke 132985
Date of Birth: December 1893
Address: Church Lane, Anstey
Parents Names: James Clarke(Market Gardener) and Lucretia (Louise)
Occupation before the war: Market Gardener
Wilfred b1889 | Elsie b 1890 | Sarah Ann b 1899 | Evelyn b 1892 | Agnes b 1895 |
Rose b1897 | Clara b 1901 | Emily b 1903 | Louisa b 1907
Date Died: 06.07.1917
Place of Death: West Vlaanderen, Belgium
Place of Burial/Memorial:
Ii B 22, Poperinghe New Military Cemetery,
West Vlaanderen, Belgium
Cause of death: Died of wounds sustained in action.
Unit – Royal Engineers
Section – 254th Company
254 was a Tunnelling Company. It was sent to Gallipoli in December 1915 and moved to France in in 1916.
Any other information (e.g. Service Record/ appearance etc)
- A sapper was a soldier who performed a variety of engineering duties such as breaching, demolitions, bridge-building, laying or clearing minefields, field defences as well as building, roads and repair.
- Born in Glenfield and lived there at least until the 1911 census.
- Enlisted in Coalville.
- Harold possibly married Florrie Cooke in the Barrow upon Soar, Leicestershire marriage registration district in 1915.
- Living in Anstey when he died.
- Memorial in St Peter’s Churchyard Glenfield